I got a D.W.I. in Kaufman county, & as part of the bond agreement, I initialed a court order to obtain an ignition interlock

Asked almost 4 years ago - Arlington, TX

device on my vehicle within the next month.I can't afford to get one put on at the moment.Will there be any extra penalty (or warrant?), if I don't get it put on? If so, can I sell my car & just get an affidavidt showing I have no car in my name, therefore not having to get the devise?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Graham Thayer Williamson II

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . This is a very tricky situation. If you do not provide proof of interlock installation, your bond will be held insufficient (i.e. a warrant will be issued.) On the other hand, selling your car could result in you being ordered to wear a SCRAM device on your ankle. SCRAM is very expensive.Call my office if you would like more information.

  2. Cynthia Russell Henley

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You are in violation of your bond if you do not put the device on your car in a timely manner. Your bond can be revoked and you can be put in jail. If you sell your car, then the judge will probably require a SCRAM device which is just as expensive. You need to hire a good lawyer to help you address the issue of finances with the court. (And my guess is that you either are not a first offender, you blew high on the breath test, or you were involved in an accident - any of which will cause you to need a good lawyer.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,428 answers this week

3,069 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,428 answers this week

3,069 attorneys answering