I got a check in the mail cashed it and it was bad what should I do?

Granite City, IL |

The check was for 2000 dollars and I know where it came from but the detective says I have to go down for it. Then the detective called and said I have a week to pay the money back or he will get a felony warrent. I already spent the money and I cant make up 2000 in a week.WHAT SHOULD I DO ?!?!?!
Please e-mail me at bluecollarjustin@yahoo.com

1. It is unclear where you got the check. You need to immediately consult with a local criminal defense attorney and stop talking to the police.

2. Not only should you stop talking to the police but obviously a third party - your bank? - has filed charges. That third party is a large part of your problem - get a lawyer.

Legal disclaimer: This is not legal advice and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The post is only an opinion. You should speak to an attorney for further information. The poster is licensed only in Illinois. Please visit www.bernardjconway.com for more information about our services. If this post is useful to you, please remember to upvote it.

3. I need more facts to analyze the situation. Ordinarily there would be no criminal liability for cashing a bad check. But it could be criminal under other circumstances. Consult with an attorney.