I got a 1st offense DUI. I got 34 days in jail time. How much of it will i Actually serve?

My public defender recommended me to take the jail time over the community labor and they gave me extra ten days on top of the 24 for the refusal to be stricken. How much time will i actually do. I am so scared I will lose my job. I turn myself in this friday.

Please give me some clues as to how long I can expect to be in there. Will I face the full time of 34 days?

Edit: Yes, it is in Los Angeles County Edit: Is there any way I can go back to the court and ask for community service instead of jail time? I already int and signed everything.

Worst case? Half time. 17 days.

In reality? No guarantee, but it may be a book & release or couple days tops.

The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case.

The most you would serve is half time but the jails in Los Angeles county are very full. You can expect to serve less than half time but its hard to say. It's up to the jail. I would follow your lawyers advice in the situation. Good luck.

Contributions on in no way create an attorney-client relationship nor are they intended to be relied upon as a course of action without having first consulted directly with an attorney, where the specific facts and circumstances of your case can be fully discussed.

Depends on the county. LA County Jail is frequently packed so at best it may be a book and release. At worst 17 days. Good luck.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

34 days = 17 actual, by statute. Plus, if you were booked at the time of the offense, you get a day of credit there as well. (and it would be 1 day = 2 days; so now you're looking at 15 or 16 actual.)
You may get just a book & release; you may get work furlough; you may get weekend work crew. A lot depends on how many bunks are available when you arrive. (and the answer to that is usually, "slim to none.")

Can you go back and ask for a change? Yes, but since you're supposed to turn yourself in on Friday, you'd be hard pressed to get on calendar that quickly.

You'll get halftime for sure, which will be 17 days. People nowadays are only serving about ten to fifteen percent of their time, but that's not set in stone. I've seen people be booked and released for sentences of around that same time. At worst, think 17 days. That's the only guarantee. Expect less though.

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights