Skip to main content

I going to school to become an attorney and want to know what is covered under attorney-client privilege?

Walla Walla, WA |

I am curious what is covered under attorney-client privilege? oral and written communication, attorney visits, etc?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Where are you in the process? You will want to view the RPC's in Washington State. Just Google RPC and it will come up.

    Why do you care right now though? This is the stuff you learn in law school and while preparing to take the bar exam.

  2. Anything your client tells you that they do not give you express permission to share with other persons is arguably privileged. The privilege outlives the client. There are simply things that clients communicate to you that you can never, ever tell anybody. Elizabeth Powell

    Using Avvo does not form an attorney client relationship.

  3. depends on many factors, and different states have different rules,

  4. Go to the law library and spend some time with t
    "THE LAW OF LAWYERING". You will then appreciate the nuance built into your question. Good Luck in your career.

  5. Yes, all of those things are covered. I think it is good you are interested in ethics already. A quick search on the web related to attorney client privilege will bring up a lot of resources.

    I am licensed in Pennsylvania. Members of my firm are licensed in various states, including Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. We handle cases involving personal injury (car accidents slip and falls, etc.,) medical malpractice, nursing home abuse, workers' compensation, social security disability and legal malpractice. Nothing I write on Avvo is legal advice, but instead contains general educational information. Please do not act or refrain from acting based upon what you read in anything I write on Avvo without retaining your own lawyer in your state. Also please remember that this post does not form an attorney/client relationship between you and me. If you have specific legal questions, you should contact an attorney in your state for assistance.