I go to trial for a wrongful order of protection against me. Do I need a lawyer? I make too much for pub. Asst. but no money.

Asked about 1 year ago - Babylon, NY

Ex has been on a campaign of a one sided war of attrition so no money. Can judge appoint one for me when my income doesn't qualify me?

1. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

2

Answered . If you make too much, they won't appoint. Contact local attorney's and work out the best deal you can get. You definitely need an attorney!

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

2. Peter Christopher Lomtevas

Pro

1

Answered . A family court judge will typically assign an attorney if your income is at 150% of federal poverty guidelines. Above that, you have to hire a lawyer.

Hiring a lawyer is a strategic move. If there are children involved and the ex is using OPs to smear you in child custody court, then you better defend yourself fully. Also, if the OP is being used or is planned on being used by the ex for subsequent repeated arrests to steal your home and money, again you better defend yourself fully now.

Family court wounds never heal. You must prevent them from happening and if you cannot, then you must fully litigate.

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

1

Answered . Of course you need a lawyer. Do you know what testimony is admissible or not admissible? Do you know how to cross-examine a witness? The list goes on and on.