I get married and need to apply for green card

my brother had apply for me for green card before 10 years and I have become answer that I need to wait because I am not a priority, I have come in US in June last year like visitor and now I get married, my wife is US citizen, have US passport, and now want to apply for me to get green card. will I have problems because I have process on my brother ? second question, what application I need to fill, do I need to go on medical examination, and how much will that cost and how long will I wait for green card? when will I get social security number? thanks in advance

Charlotte, NC -

Find Out More

Kevin Lawrence Dixler

Kevin Lawrence Dixler

Immigration Attorney - Chicago, IL

There are some concerns about how you managed to get a visitors visa and whether there may be a misrepresentation with the visa application. In general, if you lawfully entered the U. S. as a visitor, then you can file for review for adjustment of status.

You will need to get a medical exam with a USCIS certified civil surgeon. You will need to pay at least $1490, perhaps more if you are required to file for a waiver. You may get a social security number if you are issued an employment authorization card. Finally, none of us really knows how long it will take to process, and whether you may be approved without more information.

I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney based upon the limited information provided. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.
Tripti Sharad Sharma

Tripti Sharad Sharma

Immigration Attorney - Newark, CA

There are some complications here which is best discussed with an experienced immigration attorney.

Fernanda Nunes Hottle

Fernanda Nunes Hottle

Immigration Attorney - Atlanta, GA

Generally speaking, having more than one application pending should not be a problem on its own. However, as my colleagues suggested, you should consult with a competent Immigration attorney for a more complete assessment of your facts and case.

[This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.]
Robert Louis Brown

Robert Louis Brown

Immigration Attorney - Cleveland, OH

You may have some issues. You should obtain professional assistance.
immigration@rbrownllc.com
919.225.3965

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Immigration Attorney - San Francisco, CA

You should speak with an attorney as there could be issues regarding misrepresentation in order to obtain the visiting visa as well as immigrant intent.

J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Immigration Attorney - Houston, TX

I agree with my colleagues.