I get married and need to apply for green card

Asked about 2 years ago - Charlotte, NC

my brother had apply for me for green card before 10 years and I have become answer that I need to wait because I am not a priority, I have come in US in June last year like visitor and now I get married, my wife is US citizen, have US passport, and now want to apply for me to get green card.
will I have problems because I have process on my brother ?
second question, what application I need to fill, do I need to go on medical examination, and how much will that cost and how long will I wait for green card?
when will I get social security number?

thanks in advance

Attorney answers (6)

  1. 2

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . There are some concerns about how you managed to get a visitors visa and whether there may be a misrepresentation with the visa application. In general, if you lawfully entered the U. S. as a visitor, then you can file for review for adjustment of status.

    You will need to get a medical exam with a USCIS certified civil surgeon. You will need to pay at least $1490, perhaps more if you are required to file for a waiver. You may get a social security number if you are issued an employment authorization card. Finally, none of us really knows how long it will take to process, and whether you may be approved without more information.

    I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney based upon the limited information provided. Good luck.

    This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.
  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There are some complications here which is best discussed with an experienced immigration attorney.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more
  3. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Generally speaking, having more than one application pending should not be a problem on its own. However, as my colleagues suggested, you should consult with a competent Immigration attorney for a more complete assessment of your facts and case.

    [This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.]
  4. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You may have some issues. You should obtain professional assistance.

  5. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should speak with an attorney as there could be issues regarding misrepresentation in order to obtain the visiting visa as well as immigrant intent.

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street,... more
  6. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

Related Topics

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Marriage and prenups

Entering into a prenuptial agreement before marriage can protect certain assets in the event of a divorce, but such agreements must be carefully written.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,127 answers this week

3,686 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,127 answers this week

3,686 attorneys answering