I gave my tenant 30 day instead of 60 day notice on a month to month lease

Glendale, CA |

I gave my tenant 30 day notice instead of 60 day notice. I found out I had to give a 60 day notice after I gave them the 30 day notice because they have stayed there for more than a year, do I give them a 60 day notice again or just add another 30 days. He is already informing me that he is not going to move out and for me to take him to court.

1. Your prior notice was ineffective. You need to reserve a proper 60 day notice. If you anticipate that this will be a problem tenant, it might be advisable for you to retain counsel from the start so you do not make any further missteps.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

2. You cannot extend the length of the original notice. You must start over with a new 60 day notice.