I gave a different mailing address when arrested?

Gaithersburg, MD |

Hi, recently when i was arrested for possession of marijuana and paraphernalia I was very scared of what could happen if my parents found out and the officer let me give a different mailing address in which belongs to my bestfriend. I was just wondering is there going to be anything i receive to the address thats on my license and what exactly should i expect in the mail?

Im 18 by the way and this is my first offense
thank you in advance

You won't receive notice of your court date, and the court might issue a warrant, if you fail to appear. You can search court records at An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you evaluate the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to go to trial. Consider seeking a confidential consultation.

Information in the reply is provided as a public service. It is neither a comprehensive statement of the law nor legal advice, and no one should rely on it as such. If you have a legal problem or question, you should consult with an attorney, who can investigate the particular circumstances of your situation. Responding to a post does not constitute legal representation. I am not your lawyer, until we make an agreement and I receive my fee. Beware that posts and replies are not confidential. Anyone can read them.

A notice of your court date will be sent to your best friend. If you don't receive the notice, and if you fail to appear, a bench warrant might be issued for your arrest. Please consult a criminal attorney regarding how to best handle this.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.

You need an attorney and should contact one right away. If you cannot afford an attorney, you should contact the Public Defender.

You should also write to the court and give them your correct address so that you will receive any court notices. If you do not receive the court notice and do not appear for trial, a warrant will be issued for your arrest. You will make a bad situation worse.

For certain marijuana cases, some courts have a diversion program where you can get ultimately get the charges dropped after completing the program. You would need to qualify for the program which depends upon a variety of factors. A good attorney can help you with this.

It all depends what address the officer puts on the charging document and which gets input into the district court docketing system. Whichever address that is, that is where all court notices will be mailed. Before that happens, however, you will receive an avalanche of letters at that address from lawyers offering their legal services as well as drug counseling programs. There are companies which collect a fee to mail out preprinted letters for lawyers to anyone charged with a crime. Unfortunately there is not much you can do about this. You might run down to the Post Office, rent a PO Box, then file a change of address at the district court, and hopefully all that mail will go there. You need to hire a lawyer.

It should go to address that the officer wrote on the file. Eventually, you may have to correct that address.

I suggest that you contact an attorney so that you can see what your options and defenses are to resolve this problem in your favor.

William A. Simmons
Butler & Simmons, P.A.
Attorneys & Counselors at Law
11501 Georgia Avenue, Suite 100
Silver Spring, MD 20902
301-942-0734 facsimile

The information contained in this e-mail message is information protected by the attorney client privilege and/or the attorney work product privilege and the privileges are not waived by virtue of this having been sent by e-mail. If the person actually receiving this e-mail or any other reader of this e-mail is not the named recipient or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the named recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify this office immediately by telephone and return the original message by e-mail. Thank you.