I gave a different mailing address when arrested?

Asked over 1 year ago - Gaithersburg, MD

Hi, recently when i was arrested for possession of marijuana and paraphernalia I was very scared of what could happen if my parents found out and the officer let me give a different mailing address in which belongs to my bestfriend. I was just wondering is there going to be anything i receive to the address thats on my license and what exactly should i expect in the mail?

Im 18 by the way and this is my first offense
thank you in advance

Attorney answers (5)

  1. William Lawrence Welch III

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You won't receive notice of your court date, and the court might issue a warrant, if you fail to appear. You can search court records at mdcourts.gov. An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you evaluate the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to go to trial. Consider seeking a confidential consultation.

    Information in the reply is provided as a public service. It is neither a comprehensive statement of the law nor... more
  2. Brandy Ann Peeples


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A notice of your court date will be sent to your best friend. If you don't receive the notice, and if you fail to appear, a bench warrant might be issued for your arrest. Please consult a criminal attorney regarding how to best handle this.

    DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided... more
  3. Scott R. Scherr

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need an attorney and should contact one right away. If you cannot afford an attorney, you should contact the Public Defender.

    You should also write to the court and give them your correct address so that you will receive any court notices. If you do not receive the court notice and do not appear for trial, a warrant will be issued for your arrest. You will make a bad situation worse.

    For certain marijuana cases, some courts have a diversion program where you can get ultimately get the charges dropped after completing the program. You would need to qualify for the program which depends upon a variety of factors. A good attorney can help you with this.

  4. Mark William Oakley

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It all depends what address the officer puts on the charging document and which gets input into the district court docketing system. Whichever address that is, that is where all court notices will be mailed. Before that happens, however, you will receive an avalanche of letters at that address from lawyers offering their legal services as well as drug counseling programs. There are companies which collect a fee to mail out preprinted letters for lawyers to anyone charged with a crime. Unfortunately there is not much you can do about this. You might run down to the Post Office, rent a PO Box, then file a change of address at the district court, and hopefully all that mail will go there. You need to hire a lawyer.

  5. William A Simmons

    Contributor Level 5


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It should go to address that the officer wrote on the file. Eventually, you may have to correct that address.

    I suggest that you contact an attorney so that you can see what your options and defenses are to resolve this problem in your favor.

    William A. Simmons
    Butler & Simmons, P.A.
    Attorneys & Counselors at Law
    11501 Georgia Avenue, Suite 100
    Silver Spring, MD 20902
    301-942-0734 facsimile

    The information contained in this e-mail message is information protected by the attorney client privilege and/or the attorney work product privilege and the privileges are not waived by virtue of this having been sent by e-mail. If the person actually receiving this e-mail or any other reader of this e-mail is not the named recipient or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the named recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify this office immediately by telephone and return the original message by e-mail. Thank you.

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Dennis James Dressler

How much do I tell my lawyer?

Start by telling your lawyer what you are charged with and when you are due to appear in court. From that point on I suggest that you let your lawyer ask you questions and you answer those... more

Criminal charges

Criminal charges are formal accusations in court that someone has committed a crime. Criminal charges have many classifications and degrees of severity.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,907 answers this week

3,121 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,907 answers this week

3,121 attorneys answering