I found unclaimed money from my great Grandmother. Can I claim this money if heirs are still alive?

Asked 7 months ago - Monroeton, PA

She lived in Pa when she past away in 1993. But the money is in Florida. She has one son left and some grand children.

1. Joseph M. Masiuk

Pro

3

1

Answered . This is not a simple matter of "finders keepers." Did your Great Grandmother have an estate? What I'm wondering is whether even the person who administered the estate even knew of the money.

If it is, in fact, unclaimed money that was titled in your great grandmother's name, you should let the attorney who handled her estate know about it.

2. Stewart C Crawford Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . Please be advised, a number of unclaimed money scams exist. If somebody contacted you and informed you that the U.S. Treasury or Florida Treasury have unclaimed money, confirm it with them independently. You may also wish to discuss this with a Florida attorney

Stew Crawford, Jr.
    CRAWFORD LAW FIRM

3. Thomas J. Wagner

1

Answered . If your great grandmother had a will the will controls who, if anyone, is entitled to the money, If she didn't have a will then rules of intestate succession determine who will get the money (It will likely be her son). An estate will either have to be opened or re-opened to transfer the money.