I found out the father of my six year old is working and hes on child support. hes 7,000 in arrears, 260 mth. Can i sue ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Cypress, TX

He does not pay currently. Hes payed under the table.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Brian W. Erikson


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can sue. Or if you were divorced, you can have your divorce attorney file a motion to enforce the child support order.

    Perhaps the best recourse is to elicit help from the Texas Attorney General's Child Support Division, for which you can find more information at the following web address:

    The web address for the Texas Attorney General Child Support Division is:

    Good luck.

  2. James D. Roark

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The AG is certainly a way to go with your problem, especially if you are unable to afford an attorney. I believed an attorney is your best bet, however, to get things going quicker and keep them going. For "under the table" incomes, and attorney, in some cases, might be able to discover how much is being spent, which might be a better way to show his true income.

Related Topics

Nondischargeable debt and child support

Child support is a nondischargeable debt in bankruptcy. Back child support will remain even after bankruptcy, regardless of the chapter.

Gail A Balser

Not All Debts are Dischargeable

Not All Debts are Dischargeable Before filing for bankruptcy, it is important for debtors to understand that not all types of debt are eligible for discharge in bankruptcy. These debts... more

    Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

    Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


    Ask now

    27,041 answers this week

    3,139 attorneys answering

    Ask a Lawyer

    Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

    • It's FREE
    • It's easy
    • It's anonymous

    27,041 answers this week

    3,139 attorneys answering