I found out my crim defense attorney never put in any motions on my case or any requests for hearings when I was given a temp or

Asked about 1 year ago - Deer Park, NY

I found out my crim defense attorney never put in any motions on my case or any requests for hearings when I was given a temp order of protection due to a false allegation charge, which was dismissed one year after I was put through a legal nightmare. I appeared in court 19x ; complaining witness never showed once. My attorney assured me he put in motions & requested for me to have a hearing re the ex-parte order of prot (stay away), which barred me from my home for 6 months. He said I couldn't have a hearing because the complaining witness didn't show up. So I had the order of protection on me for many months & never got a chance to speak. He reassured me also that he had put in order to vacate it. I just found out from court there were no motions submitted on my case. What can i do?

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . Nothing. Its a matter of legal strategy. In addition, only pecuniary loss is recoverable in a legal malpractice case.

2. Terri Beth Kalker

Pro

2

Answered . Be grateful that it has been resolved, put the matter behind you and get on with your life. There is no cause of action.

3. Edwin Drantivy

Pro

Answered . Not much. It seems as if the Order was dismissed anyways.