I finished my sentence and and probation but as part of my sentence I was required to pay restitution.

Asked over 3 years ago - Petersburg, VA

How long must I continue to pay restitution. my only income is Social Security and paying the restitution each month is really impacting my standard of living. I can't even afford the extra medicare payments. the amount I do pay each month does not even cover the interest on the restitution.

1. Kelly W. Case

Best Answer

Answered . Courts usually order restitution to be paid until it is completely paid off. If you have not completely paid off the amount the court ordered, then you must keep paying until completly paid off.

2. Timothy Kevin Wilson

Pro

Answered . If you were ordered to pay resitution, it suggests that you victimized someone else and the Court ordered you to pay restitution to pay back the money taken. I hope you can understand how a Court would be more concerned with the victim of the offense being repaid and might not be persuaded by the fact that having to pay the money back is impacting your standard of living.

In addition, I suspect you were ordered to pay the restitution as a condition of a suspended sentence. Therefore, if you fail to do so, you subject yourself to being incarcerated. However, you may be able to persuade the Court to reduce the amount required to be paid each week / month, if you have compelling evidence to support such a request.

For important answers to other Frequently Asked Questions about DUI, Criminal and Traffic Offenses in Virginia, visit my website at: http://www.tkevinwilsonlawyer.com/faq.cfm.

T. Kevin Wilson, Esq.
    The Wilson Law Firm
    DUI, Criminal & Traffic Defense...When Results Matter
    9300 Grant Avenue, Suite 301
    Manassas, Virginia 20110

Telephone 888-DUI-LWYR
    Telephone 703-361-6100
    Facsimile 703-365-7988

www.TheWilsonLawFirm.org

*** DISCLAIMER ***
    The information contained in this message is for general informational purposes only. It is not intended to be legal advice, nor is it a substitute for professional legal services. The Wilson Law Firm disclaims the formation of an attorney-client relationship by use of AVVO, and no such relationship exists unless and until a written Fee Agreement has been endorsed by The Wilson Law Firm and the client. Furthermore, given the public nature of this forum, there can be no expectation of privacy, confidentiality, privilege, or any other protection from disclosure.

3. Carl Scott Spector

Pro

Answered . Your obligation to pay restitution ends when you have paid back all the money you agreed to pay back as part of your agreement. Restitution is not open ended. It is for a specified amount to be paid over a specified amount of time.

Good Luck-

Note: For informational purposes only.