I financed a car through a shady dealership, and they have not filed the paperwork with the finance compan

Asked almost 2 years ago - Bel Air, MD

It has been over thirty days since I signed paperwork
And given down payment. Talked to finance company and they have no info on me. Can I return car to dealership and get down payment back?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Philip Leon Marcus

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . I don't know why you did business with a known crook but that is your business. (There is no chance is there the car is stolen?) If the finance company never heard of you then they cannot expect payments. I would insure the car and drive it—carefully—until you hear further. Don’t go looking for trouble. Make sure to keep your copies of all the paperwork.

    Licensed in Maryland with offices in Maryland and Oregon. Information here is general, does not create a lawyer-... more
  2. Richard D. Lebovitz


    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . I strongly suggest you meet with an attorney to review your purchase agreement. You may have rights and protections under contract law. But you may have issues with the car title. Did you have any issues with registering the vehicle with the Mva? Please call me to discuss in further detail.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,763 answers this week

3,385 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,763 answers this week

3,385 attorneys answering