I Finally Got A Bill After Six Months - Thanks for Advise But What Now? She Told Me to File An Ethics Complaint!

Little Rock, AR |
Filed under: Professional ethics

I requested a statement and finally got it via email for all work done since retaining a lawyer in October 2012. As I said before, I had never received a contract, receipt for payment nor monthly invoices for her work. While I had estimated my fees to her were approximately $1,000, she continued to bill me for review of my divorce documents/financial info. while I was in mediation to the total sum of my $2,500 retainer. I was even charged for a draft of Motion to Change Custody? that I have not seen. Charges included $40 for changing a meeting date, $20 each time I emailed her to set meeting date, etc. The last meeting she asked that we meet in a bar. When I arrived she was drinking a glass of wine. She drank two more while we talked - I picked up the $40 tab. She will do nothing on bill.

I would do what the attorney suggests. http://www.azbar.org/lawyerconcerns/disciplineprocess#How%20do%20I%20file

For a free consultation related to medical malpractice, personal injury, workers' compensation, social security disability or nursing home abuse, please contact Lowenthal & Abrams, PC at 1-800-876-5299. I am licensed in Pennsylvania, but members of my firm are licensed in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. This post is not legal advice, but instead contains general educational information. Please do not act or refrain from acting based upon what you read in this post. Also please remember that this post does not form an attorney/client relationship between you and me. If you have specific legal questions, you should contact an attorney in your state for assistance. I am licensed to practice law in the state of Pennsylvania.

John Joseph Westerhaus

John Joseph Westerhaus

Great advice from Ms. Ellis, as per usual, but the wrong state -- you need the Arkansas bar, not the Arizona bar. That website is here: www.arkbar.com/

Jennifer L. Ellis

Jennifer L. Ellis

Whoops. Thank you.

This seems like the best advice she's given you so far -- file an ethics complaint, as she suggests.

I can be reached at (913) 735-9320. These answers do not constitute legal advice, because legal advice is paid for. These answers are, instead, practical suggestions for dealing with legal problems, and provided for informational purposes as a free public service. Any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. Since suggestions to legal questions are usually fact-dependent; my answers are general and based on the facts as you describe them and necessarily includes assumptions. More specific answers can be provided only after researching the appropriate law and a comprehensive consultation in which all relevant facts are disclosed. The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements. Until both a retainer agreement is executed and we have a consultation, I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Moreover, I cannot be your attorney unless you are located in Missouri, the only state in which I am licensed. If you are not in Missouri, please consult an attorney in your state for assistance, as my advice may be incorrect or incomplete.

Professional ethics topics