I filled chapter 7 almost 3 years ago and my attorney did not file a motion to avoid lien on debetors exempt property.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Portland, OR

I am now trying to refinance and they are saying that my home has a judgement lien on it and they want me to pay, but thats why i filled in the first place. was it my attorneys responsibility to file that paper and should i have to pay him to do so over the amount of the filing fee?

1. Tom Arany

8

Answered . If you still have a copy available, read over your fee agreement. Motions to avoid liens are often not covered by standard chapter 7 bankruptcy fee agreements and require paying your attorney additional fees. That said, this is an issue that your attorney should have identified, discussed with you, and taken action to handle. The first step in figuring out what happened is to contact your attorney.

2. Howard M Lewis

Pro

3

8

Answered . All counsel offer great advice. It is highly dependent on what your agreement with your attorney included. Good luck!

3. Thomas A McAvity

Pro

5

Answered . Because motions to avoid lien are rarely included in the flat fee for a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, it would likely be completely appropriate for an attorney to bill you for doing the motion.

4. Helene Thaissa W. Bergman

Pro

6

Answered . Depends on what your written agreement with the lawyer said.

5. Alexzander C. J. Adams

Pro

4

Answered . You should look and see what your original fee agreement said. In my fee agreements, judicial lien avoidances are separate from a standard Chapter 7 filing. You will likely have to pay the $260.00 filing fee to reopen the case as well as some additional fees for drafting and serving the avoidance motions.

6. Matthew Abts

1

Answered . Hang on, now, your attorney still had the responsibility to talk to you about this issue regardless of what your fee agreement says. Sure, you may have had to pay more to get it done, but that doesn't mean the attorneys gets a pass on not informing you.

If your attorney never mentioned it, the attorney may have missed it. If the attorney missed it, didn't inform you, and now you're losing your house as a result, the attorney may have malpracticed, regardless of the fee agreement.

It's more likely there may have been more equity in the house than you realize and the attorney didn't mention it because it wasn't applicable in your case. Or maybe the attorney mentioned it in a letter and you're blanking on it -- you may want to go over all your prior communications.

You'd have to bring the whole thing in to a lawyer to have it analyzed. I'd call a plaintiff's attorney who specializes in malpractice and see what s/he thinks. Many will evaluate a case for free, or for a small fee. Call the Oregon State Bar for a referral to this kind of malpractice attorney.

Take care,
    -Matthew

7. Orfelia Maria Mayor

1

Answered . Most Chapter 7 fee agreements are for the basic bankruptcy proceeding. A Motion to Avoid a LIen is a separate "a la carte" type of service that is in addition to the original bankruptcy fees. I agree with the other attorneys that you need to check your retainer agreement but I'm pretty sure it doesn't cover this.