Skip to main content

I filed my fiance's uknemployment for 15 weeks after he went back to work. what do i do now? should i just call them and admit

Niagara Falls, NY |

i continued filing even after he went back to work. we were behind on bills. we have 5 children. i needed food and school clothes. it was very stupid of me to do. dept of labor knows and is investigating. i want to tell the trukth but i am scared of being arrested. she i come clean with them or should i keep my mouth shut until i am arrested and charged.

they are trying to charge my fiance with this. he didnt know that i did it. i still havent admitted to it. he is now laid off again and as of last week they stopped his unemployment benefits. i just want to make this right but i am so scared that i will be sent to prison for this.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Unemployment routinely cross-matches ss numbers with payroll records. It will be much better to contact them before they bring criminal charges, which they definitely will do unless you contact them immediately. It would be best to ask them not to take any further action until you have your attorney contact them.


if you admit it, one or both of you will face criminal charges. You need to meet with a criminal defense attorney and plot a way of resolving this.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email -


You have committed fraud. Contact an attorney with experience in both criminal defense and employment law in order to figure out how to best handle this.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook ( if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer