I filed my asylum application on Nov 2012. i didn't show up on my interview day because i didn't received the interview notice.

Asked over 1 year ago - Monterey Park, CA

My case was closed when i was in Status, but right now i am out of status, what can I do with my Asylum case, can I resubmit the application?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . You should retain an attorney who can communicate with USCIS Asylum Unit to get your case back on track. If your case was closed there may be a possibility to do a motion to reopen with the Asylum Unit but you need to act fast. Be aware that if you cannot reopen the case then you can refile but since you are now out of status could be placed in removal proceedings if your case is referred. Finally if you are now out of status, as you say, you need to go see an attorney and be advised about the 3 / 10 year bars for unlawful presence, as well as other possible consequences as a result of your unlawful presence. Seek out an Avvo attorney, many do free consultation and choose based one experience with asylum and deportation.

    No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication. To contact this attorney see his... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,716 answers this week

2,627 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,716 answers this week

2,627 attorneys answering