Skip to main content

I Filed I-751 with California Service center. Have received no response yet. How long does it take?

Fremont, CA |

File petition for I-751 on april 26. So far my check hasn't been cashed and received no response or receipt number from USCIS so far. The mail status shows that documents have been delivered. My green card is expiring on 9th- June. Shall I send out another application with a new check or wait for USCIS's response.

Attorney Answers 7

  1. Wait a few more weeks

  2. I agree. You will hear from them in a months maybe month and a half.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  3. Give it time ... the wheels of justice turn slowly.

    PS You were wise to send everything by Certified, or Express, Mail.

    Be patient.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  4. If its more then 30 days then there may be a problem. Also how did you send the case (regular mail or certified or fed ex etc)? its always best to send by mail were you can track that it was delivered. Lastly if there was something wrong with the check or a fundamental part of the case they may be sending the case back. I would urge you to consult with an experienced immigration attorney as you should be prepared to resend the case.

    DISCLAIMER: The information you obtained in this answer is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice and it should not be construed as a formation of a client-attorney relationship or legal representation, which can only occur after the execution of a formal engagement letter or retainer agreement. For a FREE Consultation call (212) 804-5770 or visit us at

  5. I recently had a similar experience submitting an I-751. After some time (longer than usual), the check was cashed, and now we are still waiting for the receipt notice. In the future, be sure to send either by certified mail, return receipt requested, or by a courier service that requires a signature. You should also consult with an attorney about your case.

    (734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

  6. If you do not get a rejected packet or receipt within 30 days, contact customer service.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

  7. Wait. It has not been that long in "immigration time."

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics