I filed I-360 as a battered spouse a year ago and was denied because I remarried someone else. Can I apply for I-130 and I-485?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I came into the country on a visitor visa and then after being married to someone else for a while, I filed I-360 as a battered spouse a year ago and was denied because I remarried someone else. They said that since I remarried someone else within a few months, there is no longer a qualfying relationship for my I-360. I know my new spouse has to file an I-130 for me, but do we also do the I-485 now that I'm denied or do we have to do the 601A waiver?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

2

Answered . No waiver needed. Yes, you will have to file an I-485 package in order to adjust status to permanent residence, assuming your new husband is a USC.

2. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

3. David Eli Larson

Pro

1

Answered . I believe that you and your new US citizen (USC) spouse may file the Form I-130 and Form I-485 together at the same time, and that you will not need to file Form I-601A. This opinion isbased on several assumptions: 1. Your new spouse is a USC. 2. You have not departed from the US since your entry as a visitor. 3. You have no gound of inadmissibility other than overstaying your authorized visit. Given you somewhat complicated facts, you should retain an immigration lawyer to help you through the process.