I filed i-130 for my parents and receipt date is 6th august 2012 on the i797c.i did not receive anything and its been five month

Woodland, CA |
Filed under: Immigration

i am us citizen.

1. Thats still within normal processing times. On the receipt it should have a receipt number that starts with either EAC, VSC, MSC, LIN, CSC and then the year you applied 12 ..... The I-130 usually takes 6 months sometimes longer. Call the national customer service center 1800 number on the bottom of you receipt and ask them to see if its going to be much longer. Also, you can go to www.uscis.gov and check there for the case status and/or service center processing times for your type of case.

2. This does not mean that there is a problem. As long as you have received the I-797 evidencing receipt of the petition, you can check the status of the case online at uscis.gov. Additionally, you can check the "processing times" on that same website for the California Service Center (if that is where you sent your application), to have an idea of how longs those applications are taking. Good luck!

3. I agree with my colleagues.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.