Skip to main content

I filed for my husband in june while i was a LPR i then became a US citizen 2 months later and i did update my status ....

West Palm Beach, FL |

I filed for my husband in June while i was a LPR i then became a US citizen 2 months later and i did update my status with immigration, they sent me a new receipt. Its now December and my case is still at initial review( 6 months) i checked processing times but the California service center is not even showing any processing time for us citizen filing for spouse i only see it for LPR, so now i want to know should i be worried or is it normal?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It may take a little bit for the system to catch up with the changes. 4-5 months, 2-3 months since becoming a USC... Maybe not a reason to worry yet.
Have you tried Infopass to get an update?



no i didn't try the info pass, i only called the service number but the info i get when i call is the same info i read when i manually check the status online....

Danilo Jose Brack

Danilo Jose Brack


A CIS officer informed me in the past that the internet case update and the phone info lines are off the same system, so you will usually get the same response in both. Try a Infopass or contact USCIS by letter to ask for an update, emphasizing your change in Petitioner's status to citizen. Good luck


Typical processing time for an I-130 for a the spouse of a U.S. citizen in 6 to 9 months. if you feel your case is off track I suggest you consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for general information purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is neither intended nor created. You should seek out qualified counsel to review your case and provide you with advice specific to your situation. Call +1-561-478-5353 to schedule a consultation with Mr. Devore.


You may need to follow up with the USCIS.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer