Skip to main content

I filed for k1 visa fiance form i-129 to petition for my fiance to enter the USA. he entered and we got married .

Miami, FL |

we got married within da 90 day period on september 11,2011. we filed form i485 recently to adjust his staus on november 18,2012 , a year later. his case is pending. i wanted a divorce a while ago but was waiting to see if he is changing. now im sure i want a divorce can i stop his pending case? his i485 is pending? how do i stop it.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Best answer

    I would call customer service to check on your application to see why it's still pending first. You can also send a letter to USCIS asking to withdraw your I-485 because you plan to divorce. Check the receipt notice to see the service center that has it. The letter before "SC" will tell you California, Vermont, Nebraska, etc. National Benefits Center is MSC. - Disclaimer: This a general answer to your legal question. Unless you have a signed engagement letter with me, you should not consider this information to be legal advice.

  2. This is an interesting issue and one that should be explored with counsel. There are some ramifications of withdrawing the application as well as continuing with it and then planning on divorce. Both parties should be advise and understand the consequences.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics