Skip to main content

I filed for divorce and now want to stop it. How can I do this?

Colorado Springs, CO |
Filed under: Divorce

How can I stop my Colorado divorce? At first I was very sure I wanted the divorce, but after filing my husband changed for the better. I never thought this day would come, and am now wanting to give our marriage a second try. Yet, I have no idea how to stop this divorce. We are in the final stages, he has to sign the separation agreement--which he has yet to do, because we are trying to work things out. I have a lawyer, but my parents are paying for it. I was hoping to figure out the best way to end the divorce on my own to escape further lawyer fees. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


It looks as though you and your husband may be able to work things out which is great. If you are the one that filed and your husband has no other counter-petition on file, then you should be able to dismiss your case. You need to notify your attorney and discuss whether there is a possibility that the other side may want the costs they incurred. Since it is based on a reconcilation, however, that will probably not be likely. It is imperative that you communicate this immediately to your attorey before the process goes any further. If, however, you you just want to give the reconciliation a try but do not want to dismiss the entire case (in the event that the reconcilation may not last), you can have your attorney tell the judge that the parties are trying to reconcile. The court may then give the parties a few months to determine if, in fact, reconciliation will work out before the entire case is dismissed. Good Luck to you!

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer