I filed for divorce 6 months ago and have not lived with spouse for 3 years. If I win the lottery, do I have to share winnings

Stow, OH |

We are not legally separated but have been living in separate yet residences for 3 years. I filed for divorce sept 2009. What if I win the lottery before my divorce is finalized, will I have to share my winnings with my spouse since the divorce is not final?

1. Maybe. The court is empowered to determine the length of marriage and hence, the marriage termination date, based on many factors, few of which you've spoken to in your question. Court's have found the termination of the marriage on the day of final hearing in situations like yours.

THE ANSWER PROVIDED is for general informational purposes only. This attorney does not intend to give legal advice. Evaluating the statutes and case law, as well as any relevant court documents together with a more detailed factual analysis could result in a different response. The attorney does not intend to create an attorney/client relationship by the response. Anyone seeking legal advice should always consult with retained legal counsel for a full evaluation of his or her claims.