I filed for divorce. I do not want child support or alimony anymore. What is my next step to complete my divorce?

Hacienda Heights, CA |
Filed under: Divorce

Filed two years ago and he did not contest. I don't want anything and neither does he. We have nothing to divide and only one child under the age of 18. We have agreed to joint custody.

File Fl150, Declartions of Assets, and request for trial or a marital settlement agreement and allow one of you to take a default.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none, but many will offer a free consultation and a face to face meeting generally will be better, I like my clients to write a short one page history of the fact and questions they have prior to meeting with them, so nothing is forgotten.

Consent is not necessary. Was he served? Did you file a proof of service. Did he respond to your service of the Petition and Summons if he was served? If he was served and he didn't file a response, did you file a Request For Default? The next steps would be based on a clear understanding of what you have done and haven't done in this matter. You can waive spousal support but if waiving child support is NOT in the best interests of your child, then the court could reject any proposed settlement.

He was served and I did file proof of service. He did not respond and I did not file a request for default.

File your Preliminary Declarations of Disclosures; enter default and request a hearing on a default matter and submit a judgment package to the court 5 days before the hearing.

This response will not create an attorney-client relationship between you and Sarieh Law Offices, and is not intended to serve as a legal advice in your specific circumstances. This response is a legal opinion based solely on facts represented and you should not rely on this legal opinion as a legal advice. You still need to consult an attorney directly to fully protect your legal rights.

David Frederick Blaisdell

David Frederick Blaisdell

There are declaration of disclosure form that must be filled out and a proof of service must be filed. Doing a default or uncontested judgment can be difficult for even a lawyer.