I filed for BK chapter 7 in July 2012 and it was finalized December 30, 2012. Liens remain on property.

Cerritos, CA |

I filed for bk and it was finalized. I was not aware there was a lien on the home so I didn't address it at the time of the BK. The BK was a chapter 7 and it eliminated all of my personal debt, including the debt that is associated with the 3 liens. I can no longer afford my home, so I moved out and I am trying to short sell it. I owe $410,000 and the house is valued at $275k. The bank has approved the short sale at $250k because of the condition of the house. However now the liens are delaying the process. How do I go about removing the liens on the home when the debt has already been discharged in BK proceedings.

Get your bankruptcy attorney to contact the lien holders, if they have not released the liens they may be in violation of the law.

Every legal matter is fact specific, and there are often nuances in every case. This is intended for comment only, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Thank you for that. I didn't have an attorney which is why this issue was not addressed. Goes to show to hire an attorney, right. I have contacted each of the creditors, one of which was already paid because they garnished my wages until it was paid, however the credit report was never updated and the free class I attended to help fill out the paperwork said that if its in the report, to just list it. I have contacted all creditor, 3 total, even via certified mail, and none reply.

I respectfully disagree with attorney Hill. While the underlying personal obligation was extinguished by your discharge, the judgment liens survive. You will have to reopen your case, file motions to avoid the judicial liens. This will require the services of an experienced BK lawyer. You can contact me or any other AVVO BK lawyer for further details.

You will have to reopen your bankruptcy case and file a motion to avoid the liens unless the creditors will voluntarily release them for a short sale. You might determine that it is better just to let the bank take over the property either by a deed in lieu or nonjudicial foreclosure. Your real estate agent will disagree (the agent wants to protect commissions) but there no equity in the house to protect. You might get more bang for your buck by simply staying put until the bitter end. Your credit is already ruined.

SINCE 1974. My answers are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers assume California law. I am licensed in California, only. Answers must not be relied upon.<br> <br> Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us.<br> <br> The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential. I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo because I have answered or commented on a question. Specifically, I assume no duty to respond to any question, comment, telephone call, or email because of my participation.<br> <br> All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult an attorney licensed in the appropriate jurisdiction for advice and counsel. See, also, Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.<br>

What kinds of liens are they? Some kinds of liens can be removed, such as judgment liens. Other kinds cannot be removed & must be paid off or settled. Hope this perspective helps!