I filed for a for cause divorce in January 2012. My spouse contested the divorce? Can I move forward?

Asked over 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

What are my chances of winning a for cause divorce (abusive relationship no criminal charges) if my spouse contested it?
Will I have to wait two years for a divorce if my spouse contested it?
Can I move forwarded with: Child Custody, Maintenance, House Custody, Discovery of Assets if my spouse contested my divorce?

1. Gary L. Schlesinger

3

Answered . yes you can move forward. we cannot tell you how this will turn out without much more information. please go see a lawyer.

2. Judy A. Goldstein

2

Answered . You can proceed with or without your spouse's agreement to the divorce. However, you mention a number of extremely complicated issues. Hire an attorney. You are in over your head.

3. Michael A. Meschino

1

Answered . you can move forward with the divorce. However, as the divorce is in Cook County and you have a number of issues it could take 2 years or more. You need to consult and hire an attorney.
    It is obvious you do not have an attorney who can guide you through the minefileld of the Domestic Relation Division of the Circuit Court of Cook County.
    Contesting a divorce means that the person in the black robe makes the decisions. How many decisions the Judge has to make is up to you and your husband.
    I have rarely seen anyone voluntarily agree to pay maintenance.