Skip to main content

I filed for a for cause divorce in January 2012. My spouse contested the divorce? Can I move forward?

Chicago, IL |

What are my chances of winning a for cause divorce (abusive relationship no criminal charges) if my spouse contested it?
Will I have to wait two years for a divorce if my spouse contested it?
Can I move forwarded with: Child Custody, Maintenance, House Custody, Discovery of Assets if my spouse contested my divorce?

Attorney Answers 3


yes you can move forward. we cannot tell you how this will turn out without much more information. please go see a lawyer.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree




How successful are people with proving a cause divorce when another spouse contests the divorce?

Gary L. Schlesinger

Gary L. Schlesinger


it depends upon what grounds you alleged and what proof you have. the ball is in your court to prove it. or you can wait until you have been separated for two years and use irreconcilable differences.


You can proceed with or without your spouse's agreement to the divorce. However, you mention a number of extremely complicated issues. Hire an attorney. You are in over your head.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


you can move forward with the divorce. However, as the divorce is in Cook County and you have a number of issues it could take 2 years or more. You need to consult and hire an attorney.
It is obvious you do not have an attorney who can guide you through the minefileld of the Domestic Relation Division of the Circuit Court of Cook County.
Contesting a divorce means that the person in the black robe makes the decisions. How many decisions the Judge has to make is up to you and your husband.
I have rarely seen anyone voluntarily agree to pay maintenance.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics