I filed for a divorce over a year ago and my spouse has refused to provide any financial information.

New York, NY |
Filed under: Divorce

What recourse do I have? I filed for divorce 18 months ago and my husband, who was self employed, is refusing to provide any valid financial information. On top of that I discovered that he never filed any peronal income taxes or business income taxes the entire time we were married. I can't spend much more in litigation. What do you recommend?

1. It seems like your husband is hiding his economic information not just from you but also from the government (which is a crime). He also may be looking to hang onto the marriage and thinks that this is the way to do it (by stalling matters). Remember, regardless of what your husband did, you are required to file your income tax returns as required by law.

You might want to talk to a Divorce Mediator. Sometimes avoiding litigation is a goal for some people (like you) and mediators sometimes can help. I don't know that your husband would be willing, but you could both meet with a mediator to try to work out some of your issues. I am sorry for your problems.

Being that you are in litigation, you should run your question by your own attorney (assuming you have one). Maybe they can help find a solution for you.

THIS RESPONSE DOES NOT IMPLY OR CREATE AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP IS IMPLIED OR CREATED BY RESPONDING OR FAILING TO RESPOND TO THIS RESPONSE. THIS RESPONSE DOES NOT PROVIDE LEGAL ADVICE. FOR LEGAL ADVICE, YOU SHOULD CONSULT AN ATTORNEY.

2. It is unclear whether you are represented by counsel; what steps you have taken to obtain/ compel your husband to provide 'discovery' of his finances; what stage of the action you are in; how many court orders have been issued; etc.

I cannot just recommend a course of action without more information. If you desire to discuss your matter in detail, kindly contact me through the link below.

3. Your attorney should know what to do to compel financial disclosure. If you're trying to litigate your contested divorce on your own, you're going to run into troubles.

However, your question indicates a potential additional problem: if he did not file personal income tax returns - did you?