I filed for a divorce. How much time do I have to amend our 2010 and 2011 income taxes?

Lake Elsinore, CA |

We have a e bay business and all the income has gone on my husband's social security number, per our tax man's recommendations. My attorney knows I want to amend our taxes. How much time do I have to amend our 2010 and 2011 income taxes? Is the judge the only one that can get this approved and or authorized for me?

1. For federal tax purposes you have a 3 year statute of limitations so 2010 must be amended before 4/15/14 generally speaking. As for California, it has a 4 year statute of limitations,so you have until 4/15/15 until you must amend the 2010 California return. The running of the statute of limitations begins on the required filing date. So, a 2010 return must be filed by 4/15/11 and that starts the statue of limitations period.

Tax return topics