I filed Chapter 7 in 2010 - Can I strip my 2nd ?

San Diego, CA |

The 11th Circuit surprised the bankruptcy world recently when it ruled that Chapter 7 bankruptcy debtors could strip off wholly unsecured liens from their homes.

1. You are not in the 11th Circuit in California. Even in the 11th Circuit, it is an unpublished opinion of a panel, not a published opinion, so it is not even binding in the Circuit. It also is contrary to most other courts. The world was not surprised, and even in the 11th Circuit you might not be able to do it.

2. Depending on the judge you may be able to lien strip your second in a Chapter 20, i.e., a newly filed Chapter 13 -- you cannot do it in the Ninth Circuit in a 7.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

3. Assuming you can qualify for lienstripping, it may be possible to strip your 2nd with a follow up Chapter 13 under what is commonly called a Chapter 20. Regrettably, lienstipping has not been accepted in Chapter 7 in the 9th Circuit, which includes California & Nevada. Hope this perspective helps!

4. It would be a lot less stressful to file a Ch13 and strip the lien that way than to reopen your Ch7 and try to convince one of our judges (who will disagree with you) that it can be done in a Ch7.