I filed chapter 7 discharged oct 12 is it too late to add 2 creditors filing state is pa & if known is there a fee to r e open.

Asked over 1 year ago - Easton, PA

i filed chapter 7 and it is discharged as of october 2012 is it too late to add additional creditors and if not is there a fee to reopen the case.

1. Michael Anthony Cataldo

2

Best Answer

Answered . Bankruptcy court is a court of limited jurisdiction. They also do not want cases closed then re openen. There is a case called Inre:Judd which stands for the premise that in a no asset chapter 7 case even unlisted debts are discharged. The theory is they were not harmed because there was no distribution to share in. You or the attorney can write them a letter to stop collection activity under in Re :Judd. if they ever sued you the Judd case is an affirmative defense in state court

2. Gary D. Bollinger

4

Answered . You wrote, "I filed chapter 7 discharged oct 12
    "is it too late to add 2 creditors...
    "is there a fee to r e open."

It is too late unless you file a motion to reopen.

Many bankruptcy courts have ruled that in a no-asset, Chapter 7 bankruptcy with an order of discharge, no-reopening is required and that the discharge is effective against unlisted/overlooked Creditors.

3. Jacques H. Geisenberger Jr.

2

Answered . It is really never too late to reopen a chapter 7, but the cost is presently $245 to file the Motion to Reopen. You should consult your bankruptcy attorney as to whether there is a cost - benefit to reopening, depending upon the total amount owed to these 2 omitted creditors, whether this was an asset case with a cutoff date to file POC's and most important whether either or both creditors may have had actual notice of the filing.

4. Michael J. Ireland

3

Answered . As attorney Bollinger stated (and Attorney Sinclair clarified), it is unlikely you need to do this.

However, if the debts are large and the creditors are aggressive, you may wish to consult a competent, local bankruptcy attorney to confirm that it is not necessary (as Attorney Bollinger stated).

5. Diane L Gruber

Pro

1

Answered . Bankruptcies are RARELY allowed to be re-opened to add creditors, BECAUSE it is your responsibility to include all creditors in the original petition. Also, you had at least 3 months to amend before the case was closed. Talk with your BK attorney.