I filed chapter 7 a year ago and want to know if I still have to pay sales tax on a car I turned in on a chapter 7?

Asked about 1 year ago - Ofallon, MO

The car was in my 13 then turned in on my 7

1. Neil Sader

Pro

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . The question you really are asking, I think, is whether your old sales tax bills are still collectible if you are trying to register another car post-petition? This is a matter of state law. I would ask the question at the County Tax office where you reside. See what they say ... you may want to check with the County Counselor as well depending on the answer.

2. Gary D. Bollinger

1

1

Answered . You do not have to pay if the taxes were discharged on your converted case.

No photo
    Posted about 1 year ago.

How do I know?

No photo
    Posted about 1 year ago.

How do I know?

Matthew Scott Berkus
    Matthew Scott Berkus, Bankruptcy Attorney - Denver, CO
    Posted about 1 year ago.

I would listen to Gary as he is licensed in MO. The question you raise is very specific to MO state law.

If you received your discharge in your chapter 7, and this sales tax debt was listed (and assuming it is a dischargeable debt), then the debt is discharged.

Gary D. Bollinger
    Gary D. Bollinger, Bankruptcy Attorney - Saint Louis, MO
    Posted about 1 year ago.

If you do not have an attorney, consult a local bankruptcy attorney in O'Fallon.

3. Gregory David Verdibello

1

Answered . Whether or not sales tax is dischargeable in bankruptcy is a question of state law. It depends on whether or not your state defines sales tax as an "excise" or "trust fund" tax. If your state does define sales tax as an "excise" or "trust fund" tax, then the sales tax will not be excepted from bankruptcy discharge. In NYS, for example, sales tax is considered a "trust fund" tax and is excepted from bankruptcy discharge.