I filed chapter 7, and I was given a court date, does this automatically mean I have an objection to my case?

Palm Coast, FL |

I recieved the date before I even had my meeting with the trustee.

1. Do you mean a court date for a lawsuit in state court? For a credit card, mortgage, etc?

If the debt is listed on your bankruptcy petition, then you notify the court and the attorney in the lawsuit that you filed bankruptcy and that stops the state court lawsuit.

Or are you referring to the meeting of creditors in the bankruptcy? This is a requirement in every bankruptcy case.

2. How about telling us the whole story so you can get a response? Court date for what? If you received an order or notice, what exactly does it say about the hearing?

3. You must understand that the volunteer lawyers here on Avvo do not have a crystal ball and cannot read the paperwork you received long distance, even with their superpowers. I invite the attorneys with real superpowers to visit me in Vegas and use these superpowers to bankruptcy the casinos. Hope this perspective helps!

4. If it is the 341 Meeting of Creditors notice, you are required to attend that hearing. Everyone who files bankruptcy in the US is required to attend that hearing.

If it is in a case with a creditor that you included in the bankruptcy petition, this may be a violation of the automatic stay. Contact an experienced bankruptcy attorney for more information.

5. You always receive the date for your 341(a) meeting shortly after filing the petition and always before the actual meeting of creditors is conducted.