Professional
legal advice
for $99.

Avvo Instant
Talk to a lawyer

I filed chapter 13 to save my home. Needed to make one payment prior to first appearance, was told had a 30 day grace period.

Was two weeks in default and then offered the 9,000 to them they would not accept it..this is when they first filed the foreclosure which lasted almost 3 years, I was out of work had 1000 a month coming in & payments were to be 972.according to figures the bankrupt attorneys..Went to court for hearing trustee ask u very little & while explaining who lived in home he corrected me and said u have told me 20 times your son with the prob lived there,anyway my attorney is worried bank wouldnt accept the $ not able to pay it for 2 days,so dismissed it.I could not afford to make a payment to them if i was gonna loose anyway,need $ to move. Can I fight with a foreclosure attorney? What options do i have now and how long will they give me to move? Have myself and grandchildren and daugh there.

Bartow, FL -

Dorothy G Bunce

Dorothy G Bunce

Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Attorney - Las Vegas, NV

What you are describing doesn't quite add up if you were represented by a capable Chapter 13 attorney. It is not uncommon for a mortgage company to refuse your initial payment if they don't realize you have filed Chapter 13, but that alone wouldn't have caused your Chapter 13 to have failed.

I would suggest contacting an experienced Chapter 13 attorney to review the particulars of your case to see if your circumstances will allow a viable Plan,

Hope this perspective helps!

Sponsored Listing
Christopher Frederic Ikerd

Christopher Frederic Ikerd

Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Attorney - Tampa, FL

The mortgage company will contact you when the home is "purchased back at the foreclosure sale" and give you the timeframe to be out of the home. You should contact the court to determine when the "sale date" is ... this is the date the foreclosure court will set to sell your home. Generally, you would have to be out 15 to 30 days from the sale date. However you should speak to the mortgage company before the sale date to find out when they want you out of the home. Hope this helps, good luck.

Asaph O. Abrams

Asaph O. Abrams

Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Attorney - San Diego, CA

"Cash for keys" could be negotiated with a mortgagee. A 3 year-long foreclosure process could permit a mortgagor to set aside some funds for reorganization when the home is ultimately sold. If unable to make the necessary chapter-13 payments to repay the arrearage, discuss with your counsel possible conversion of your case to chapter 7. A bankruptcy judge would likely defer non-bankruptcy-related mortgage disputes to her superior-court brethren; again local counsel could advise.