I filed an Offer In Compromise for NC state taxes. Can they add a collection fee to my account if the OIC was in process?

Chesapeake, VA |
Filed under: Debt

I would like to settle for the original tax plus interest but they are telling me there is no way out of the collection fee which is part of the penalties. They denied my OIC and made several errors in calculating my "disposable income" during the review process. I have filed the OIC twice and have been denied twice. Can they waive the collection fee (all penalties) without another OIC being filed? I don't want to go through that again.

1. Your question seems to answer itself. You have tried twice and were denied. Do you really think they will waive the fee without any paperwork? Generally, an offer in compromise is only accepted if you prove you will be unable to pay the full amount. The offer is not a way to just pay less because you don't like the tax and penalties assessed.

If there were errors on calculating your disposable income, perhaps help from a professional would help. That depends on the chance of Offer acceptance ant the amount in dispute.

I hope this helps.
    Respectfully,
    Steven A. Leahy

www.chicagotaxteam.com

Please note that the above is not intended as legal advice, it is for educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is created or is intended to be created hereby. You should contact a local attorney to discuss and to obtain legal advice.