Skip to main content

I filed a Request to Enter Default and received the signed copy back from the judge, what happens next?

Sherman Oaks, CA |

My ex was refusing to let me see my son so I filed a Petition to Establish Parental Relationship. She never responded so I filed a Request to Enter Default and have received the signed copy back from the judge. I'm not sure what to do next, do I get a court date now? How do I do that?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Assuming that family court works the same way as civil, you would file a request for default judgment.

  2. i am sorry that your ex is doing this to you ( and for all you lawyers and others who are sick of hearing me say I'm sorry maybe you should add a bit more empathy to your answers because these are human beings not just test questions), you need a judgemnt, after you get the judgement he will be found in contempt and you can seek costs and sanctions and of course an order. take care.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

  3. The following is a link to the CA Superior Court's web-site and specifically, to the self-help instructions for finishing up a paternity/parentage action. Good Luck.