I filed a pro se medical malpractice case in NC wrongful death, my case manager advised that I file a motion for an extension.

Asked about 1 year ago - Edenton, NC

Are these reasons acceptable for an extension:
1. The State of NC has chosen my case to represent Pro Bono and I am waiting for final results of representation
2. I am requesting Ventilator Records from the CEO of the hospital that were not in medical records.
3. I am requesting NPI Codes for all procedures to establish medical necessity.
4. To ensure proper service according to State Laws, rule 4.
5. Can I ask for 120 day extension?

1. Robert V Cornish Jr.

3

Answered . Do not jeopardize your case by proceeding pro se. While we do not know of the merits of your case and the facts upon which it is based, medical malpractice cases are inherently complex matters that absolutely require handling by counsel.

If you haven't asked them, I would suggest contacting your local division of Legal Aid of North Carolina in Ahoskie, http://www.legalaidnc.org/public/learn/location... for assistance. The Senior Law Clinic at Campbell Law School in Buies Creek may also be of help, http://law.campbell.edu/page.cfm?id=588&n=the-s....

Good luck!

2. Jason Todd Studinski

2

Answered . Please consult with a local medical malpractice/wrongful death lawyer right away. This type of case is difficult and costly and you will need all the help you can get. I don't write this to discourage you, but to impress upon you that some help would do you a world of good. Good luck.

Pro

2

Answered . Would you do your own brain surgery too? Retain a local lawyer so you have a chance.

4. Gregory J. Brewer

Answered . Handling a medmal case on your own is going to be a nightmare. Attorneys who practice in this area have a difficult time with these cases. You will be at an extreme disadvantage not knowing the Rules of Civil Procedure and the Rules of Evidence. If your complaint does not have the proper Rule 9(j) certification then it is going to be kicked out. You can extend the time for service of process by getting alias/pluries summons from the clerk. You are entitled to do that if the time has not already run and the summons came back unserved.