I filed a chapter 7 in aug 2002 discharged in nov 2002 need to file again I know it has to be 8 yrs but can I retain a lawyer?

Asked about 5 years ago - Alton, IL

I want to know if I can start proceedings now and maybe get som relief??

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Henry Repay

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . Yes, you should consult an attorney. Depending on your circumstances, you may want to file under Chapter 13, which does not require eight years. If the circumstances are right later, you may be able to convert your case.

    The scope of this space does not afford an opportunity to assess the situation and advise you. I recommend you assemble for legal consultation: (1) your income information for February through August, including wages and unemployment during that period; (2) all your bills (several months' copies neatly assembled); (3) last four years' tax returns; (4) a credit report (www.annualcreditreport.com to obtain free report if not requested in last year); and (5) other information that may apply, such as copies of lawsuits. Set up an appointment at your earliest convenience to afford the most opportunity in which to be advised about your best course.

  2. Richard George Fonfrias


    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . The eight year requirement only applies to Chapter 7 repeat filings. You Can file a Chapter 13 reorganization. Seek counsel immediately.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,877 answers this week

2,729 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,877 answers this week

2,729 attorneys answering