I filed a chapter 7 bankruptcy. Can I stop it in court

Asked over 1 year ago - Westerly, RI

I feel the lawyer lied to me, and I want to stop a chapter 7 bankruptcy. What can I do?

1. Scott Benjamin Riddle

Pro

3

Answered . See another lawyer for a second opinion. No, it is not that easy to "stop" (or dismiss) a Chapter 7 case after it is filed.

2. Jeffrey Scott Hyslip

Pro

3

Answered . First, I believe that communication is always the key. Approach your current attorney and tell him/her why you feel like they were not honest. By focusing on the facts, state why you believe that what you now know is different than what you were told. A lot of times client/lawyer relationships can be made stronger through open communication. If your differences cannot be worked out - be honest with him. Tell him what you are feeling and ask him what he suggests that you do to rectify the situation. Most lawyers will work with you to try to obtain the results you were looking for. If you are CONFIDENT that the attorney lied to you (rather than it being a misunderstanding) then I would consider firing that attorney and seeking alternative counsel. I hope that by openly expressing your feelings/frustrations you and your current attorney can repair the apparently battered relationship.

3. John S. Simonian

1

Answered . You need to contact another bankruptcy attorney immediately to discuss your options. It is possible to have a Chapter 7 case dismissed, but you need to make an extremely persuasive case to do so. Then there is the matter of whether you can have the bankruptcy filing removed from your credit reports....

4. Diane L Gruber

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with previous two attorneys. Want to add that, if this is an asset case the trustee will object to dismissal.