Skip to main content

I fell on rocks in my sisters yard and broke my knee. She rents the home but the landlord has homeowners insurance.

Las Vegas, NV |

can i file a claim against their insurance for the injury. It put me out of work for three months?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


You may be able to file a claim for medical payments; if the landlord has insurance that provides this type of coverage. MedPay is usually as little as $500 and in some limited circumstances as much as $10,000. You may also file a claim for personal injuries. You do not provide any facts (nor do you need to) to opine on this. Speak with local and qualified personal injury litigation counsel. Good luck.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


There is not enough information here to give you a proper answer. I would need to know were the rocks there because they were part of the landscaping or was there some sort of construction going on. Where were the rocks located on the property? What is your reason for why you think the owner may be at fault?

Marian Ida Kelly

Marian Ida Kelly


if there was a dangerous condition on the property that the landlord created and/or knew about, there may be the potential for recovery for your pain and suffering, medical bills, and lost wages. Please consult with a local attorney. Good luck.


I agree with the other attorneys who have answered this question. More details are needed to provide an adequate answer to your question. A local personal injury attorney will likely provide a free case evaluation regarding your potential case. Be sure to provide as many details as possible at your consultation.


To answer your question directly: You can file a claim. Will you recover is another issue. Sounds like a significant injury if your out of work for months, it should be worth sitting down with an attorney in your area. Some of the attorneys that responded may be in your area; I am not. Good luck.

I am an Arizona attorney. AVVO does not pay us for our responses. Simply because I responded to your question does not mean I am your attorney. In Arizona a non-lawyer is held to the same standards as an attorney so there are dangers to representing yourself. This is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. If you require legal assistance an in depth discussion of your case is needed as there are many other issues to consider such as defenses, statute of limitations, etc.


Typically, a possessor of premises is liable for physical harm caused to a licensee by a condition on the premises if, but only if, the plaintiff establishes the following three elements:
1.The possessor knew or should have known of the condition, should have realized that it involved an unreasonable risk of harm to the licensee, and should have expected that the licensee would not discover or realize the danger;
2.The possessor failed to exercise reasonable care to make the condition safe, or to warn the licensee of the condition and the risk involved; and
3.The licensee did not know or have reason to know of the condition and the risk involved.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.


You can always contact an insurance company to see if they will afford coverage. Sometimes there is what is called a medpay where you don't have to proof liability before they will pay your medical bills. Always contact a local personal injury attorney immediately to see if you have a case.

Always consult an attorney IMMEDIATELY as there are time limitations on filing a lawsuit.

Daniel J. Melican

Daniel J. Melican


That's "PROVE" liability not proof.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer