I fell on a high school property. I slipped on a hose and sewer drain cover. I tore the ligaments in my dominant shoulder.

Asked about 1 year ago - New City, NY

Do I have a case?

1. Ryan M. Finn

Pro

8

Answered . First, if you do have a valid claim you must be sure to file a notice of claim to preserve your rights. Second, I would need to know what the defect was, how long it was on the property, and, whether the school had constructive or actual knowledge of the dangerous condition, or, whether it was a condition created by the school or one on its agents.

2. David Ian Schoen

Pro

7

Answered . Possibly. A lot more facts are needed and be aware that you probably have to file a notice of claim within 90 days, so consult with a NY personal injury attorney immediately.

3. Craig A. Post

5

Answered . Assuming this was a public high school, you will have to file a notice of claim. You only have a short period of time to do so. Whether or not you have a valid claim depends on several factors including the nature of the defect, how long it was present and the circumstances of your fall itself. Instead of posting more facts here, you should contact an attorney in your area as soon as possible for a free consultation.

4. Josh P Tolin

6

Answered . perhaps. I don't know how visible or obvious the drain cover or hose were. You need to find someone locally who specializes in personal injury cases, and they are in the best position to get all of the facts and help you. Take pictures of where you fell.

5. Jonathan David Marx

6

Answered . You could have a case, use the avvo find a lawyer feature and speak to a personal injury attorney in your area, most offer free initial consultations.

Pro

6

Answered . Perhaps. Have a local lawyer investigate immediately.

7. Dean P Murray

4

Answered . Photograph the scene and schedule a consultation with a lawyer. These cases are especially fact sensitive.

8. Elan Wurtzel

4

Answered . You don't indicate when the accident occurred--but if you fell on school property you need to file a notice of claim within 90 days of the accident on the school district. If the property was owned by a separate municipal agency (Town/City/Village) they would need a separate notice of claim as well. Whether you have a claim depends on whether the condition that caused your accident was dangerous and whether the potential defendant either caused the dangerous conditions to exist, or knew that it existed. If a municipality is involved, there may be a requirement that they had prior written notice of the dangerous condition. You should consult/retain an attorney who will then investigate the circumstances and make a judgement about whether you have a case or not. Good luck!

9. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

3

Answered . Yes you have a great case

10. Steven Miller

2

Answered . You may. Call a personal injury attorney at once as there are very short filing periods in these types of cases.

11. Thomas J Lavin

1

Answered . To the extent that the high school in question is owned by a governmental entity (town, village, county, city) then you must file a notice of claim, usually within 90 days. But, be careful, sometimes the time period can be less than 90 days. If the high school is privately owned, then you have three years from the date of the accident in which to file legal action. From the facts that you gave, it appears that the hose was placed there by the owner of the property, or the person or entity in possession of the property, in which case you would satisfy the “notice requirement” of this type of claim, in that they created the dangerous condition. The injuries that you suffered are serious and the value of your claim could be very significant. Of course, if an attorney was to interview a new client with this fact pattern, that attorney should ask many more questions than those that have been addressed thus far. I suggest that you contact me or one of the attorneys above, or use the "find a lawyer" feature on Avvo, for a free evaluation of your case.

12. Robert Lewis Fellows

Pro

1

Answered . Here are some initial suggestions. Try to take photographs of what caused the fall and the surrounding environs. Retain an attorney to investigate the matter and counsel must file a notice of claim against the school district within 90 days from the occurrence. Determine by that investigation who owned and maintained the hose and drain cover. Don't give anyone a statement about what happened or how you are doing whether written or oral. Get a free consultation from a lawyer and retain a firm to tell you the strengths and weaknesses of a potential case. Speedy recovery to you!

13. Nicholas Ivan Timko

Pro

1

Answered . You did not state why you were on the school property. Where you a student, a teacher or other employee of the school, a visitor? Was the hose left on the ground? Was someone working with the hose? Was the incident reported? Where there witnesses? These and many other questions need to be answered in order to obtain a proper evaluation of your potential claim. Contact an attorney with experience handling these types of claims so that a proper Notice of Claim can be filed. Identifying the correct legal entity to file the claim against can also be an issue so don't wait until the last minute.

14. Michael R Varble, Esq.

Pro

Answered . Consult an attorney right away and ask him or her to file a notice of claim against the high school. It sounds like you have a good claim but it requires some more investigation.