Skip to main content

I fell off a roof working under the table and hurt my back, now he wont pay us if I go to the doctor and wants me tosign release

Ridgecrest, CA |

This guy turns out is not a contractor but has people working for him hourly and piece work on different job sites .now he said that he is just a homeowner and he is not responsilable for anyone getting hurt at the homes he is working on. I can barly walk and not getting better and have to see a doctor today. what is the law and what can i do to get paid for the work me and the two other guys have done for this guy ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Get to personal injury attorney immediately. You may have a claim for your injuries. There are statute of limitations that apply to various causes of action so it's important that you have a consultation with a injury lawyer.

Jeffrey M. Freedman

Jeffrey M. Freedman


And dont sign anything.


As the other attorney suggested, contact a personal injury attorney asap. Most importantly, you need to see a doctor.

The attorney needs to secure evidence. Search Avvo, call your state's trial lawyers association, ask someone you trust and respect. Interview (even by telephone) perhaps 3 attorneys. Look to hire the one you are most comfortable with and confident in.

You need to explain workers compensation as well.



You have a workers compensation claim against the company you were working for at the time of the incident. If he doesn't have workers compensation insurance, you would be able to sue him personally under the California Labor Code.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery.


Mr. Sweat has given you good information. You may have a workers compensation case, or you may have what is called an "uninsured employer case".

You need to consult with both a workers compensation lawyer and a civil personal injury lawyer immediately.

Adam Sorrells
Injury Lawyer

The above was not legal advice and cannot be relied on. For informational purposes only. Some of the time periods in which you are legal required to act can be incredibly short, some as short as 6 months. Time is of the essence, do not delay seeking legal advice and pursuing your legal rights. No attorney/client relationship formed.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer