I fell in a pothole walking into a store. I am 38 weeks pregnant. I injured my ankle and fell on stomach. Should I make a claim?

Asked about 1 year ago - Highland, IL

I was walking into a store and tripped in a pothole that was decent size. I injured my ankle and busted up my knees and hands from trying to prevent injury to my stomach and baby. Should I make a negligence claim against the store?

1. Clifford Horwitz

Pro

13

Answered . You should absolutely consult with a Personal Injury lawyer if you sustained injuries. Consultation is free.

Clifford W. Horwitz
    Horwitz, Horwitz & Associates
    25 E. Washington St. Chicago, IL
    312-372-8822
    Horwitzlaw.com

2. Thomas O. Moens

13

Answered . Rather than handle this yourself, I would suggest consulting with a personal injury attorney. Asking the wrong question, or saying the wrong thing could compromise your case. The Find a Lawyer tab at the top of the page will let you search by practice area and location.

3. Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Pro

12

Answered . As the others have said, definitely get a lawyer, as premises liability cases are the toughest to prove and you have the additional issue of a potentially complicated pregnancy or birth. Either way, get a lawyer.

Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL
    773-944-9737
    Email: stephen@hofflawyer.com
    Website: www.hofflawyer.com
    Blog: www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

4. Harold L. Wallin

Pro

9

Answered . You should make sure that the store filed a report of the incident, take pictures of the pothole and consult with an attorney about a claim.

5. Tanya Marie Bachand

10

Answered . Yes, you should, if only to make sure your medical bills are paid. You will also need to prove a defect (that's the pothole) and notice, that is where a personal injury lawyer will come in handy

This is general advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Pro

10

Answered . You should certainly have a local personal injury lawyer in your state investigate.

7. Burton A. Padove

Pro

7

Answered . First, and most important of all take care of your health right now and worry about claims later. Let's hope that the baby is o.k. You may be able to make a claim against the store or the landowner. I suggest that once your pregnancy is over, you contact a local attorney asap. In the meantime, if possible, have someone take photographs of the pothole and also of you if there are any scrapes or bruises. My thoughts are with you and your family at this time and that you have an uneventful blessed event.

8. Michael R Crosner

8

Answered . Consult a local attorney ASAP - most offer free initial consultations. If photos have not been taken try to do so. If not the attorney will need to have photos & measurements taken immediately. Hope your are O.K. Best wishes

9. Josh P Tolin

6

Answered . As the other attorneys have advised, see a personal injury attorney, and get evaluated immediately by your OB/GYN to check on your baby.