I fell at a friends home and had thirteen stitches in my leg. My insurance company wants me to fill out a form and give them my

Asked over 1 year ago - Saint Petersburg, FL

friends insurance information so they do not have to pay all of my medical expenses. Am I required by law to give them that information? I am not filing a suit against my friend.

1. David John Glatthorn

Pro

16

Answered . You have a duty to co-operate with your insurance company upon reasonable requests. You don't give any facts so it's difficult to see if there would be any responsibility on your friend. If you simply fell through no fault of the homeowner , that may be the end of it. All health insurance carriers automatically send out inquiries where there's a possibility of reimbursement these days.

2. Clifford M. Miller

Pro

13

Answered . You have a contractual duty to cooperate. If you do not cooperate, your carrier may deny benefits to you. Your company may make a claim against your friend's homeowner's company or sue him. If so, you have a duty to cooperate for that also. If you do not cooperate (your choice) - you may lose your benefits.

3. Jesus Novo III

11

Answered . You have both a statutory and contractual duty to cooperate. If you fail to cooperate, your insurance company may deny your benefits, but you probably already know this as they will send you notice of intent to deny. Hire counsel!

4. Dennis Michael Phillips

6

Answered . Your insurance contract may contain a subrogation clause entitling the insurer to seek reimbursement from anyone who may be at fault for your injury or illness. More likely, they want to check to see whether your friend's HO or liability insurer has MedPay benefits which a no fault benefits that could be used to offset their expenses. I am sure that your contract includes language requiring you to cooperate fully.

5. George Costas Andriotis

5

Answered . You must cooperate with your insurance company or risk losing coverage. You also need to consult a local attorney ASAP. Call me for a free consultation if you'd like as we could definitely help you through these difficult times. Best of luck.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

Pro

6

Answered . You must cooperate with your insurance carrier

7. John Michael Phillips

4

Answered . If you never plan to pursue a claim, you do not have to talk to them. And you wouldn't have to sue your friend to make a claim on his/her insurance policy and recover medical bills and pain and suffering.

If you have any further questions, feel free to email me- jmp@knowthelawyer.com. Check out our website- www.knowthelawyer.com. We'd love to help you. Our number is 800-6-know-law.

8. Michael Lee Weimorts

4

Answered . Most insurance policies impose a duty of cooperation on the insured. I am sure they are seeking subrogation from your friend's insurance company for the sums they have paid out on your behalf.

If you fail to cooperate with your carrier, they may cancel your policy or refuse to make any payments for treatment for this incident.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******
  9. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

4

Answered . You should read your insurance policy. It defines what your responsibilities are in terms of cooperating with your carrier. You should follow what you have agreed to in the contract.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.