I fell at a friends home and had thirteen stitches in my leg. My insurance company wants me to fill out a form and give them my

Saint Petersburg, FL |

friends insurance information so they do not have to pay all of my medical expenses. Am I required by law to give them that information? I am not filing a suit against my friend.

You have a duty to co-operate with your insurance company upon reasonable requests. You don't give any facts so it's difficult to see if there would be any responsibility on your friend. If you simply fell through no fault of the homeowner , that may be the end of it. All health insurance carriers automatically send out inquiries where there's a possibility of reimbursement these days.

You have a contractual duty to cooperate. If you do not cooperate, your carrier may deny benefits to you. Your company may make a claim against your friend's homeowner's company or sue him. If so, you have a duty to cooperate for that also. If you do not cooperate (your choice) - you may lose your benefits.

This is a summary based on incomplete facts. You should not rely on it as legal advise. No attorney-client relationship is intended to be formed. You may call me 772-562-4570; email me vblawyer@bellsouth.net, or visit my website http://www.millerlawoffices.us

You have both a statutory and contractual duty to cooperate. If you fail to cooperate, your insurance company may deny your benefits, but you probably already know this as they will send you notice of intent to deny. Hire counsel!

Your insurance contract may contain a subrogation clause entitling the insurer to seek reimbursement from anyone who may be at fault for your injury or illness. More likely, they want to check to see whether your friend's HO or liability insurer has MedPay benefits which a no fault benefits that could be used to offset their expenses. I am sure that your contract includes language requiring you to cooperate fully.

Reach me at dennis@411financial.com, (877) 411-3462, or (954) 900-2939. Do you know the consequences of your legal situation on your Financial & Estate Plan? I run a Florida law practice and a nationwide financial planning practice (411 Financial) in which I mostly work with people/families who have recently undergone a legal claim like personal injury, divorce, wrongful termination, etc. I find that money without purpose finds a way of getting spent; so I work with my clients to make sure that they have something to show for all of their troubles well after their legal claims are resolved. Securities and investment advisory services are offered through Brokers International Financial Services, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC, Panora, Iowa, Brokers International Financial Services, LLC is not affiliated with 411 Financial, 411 LegalDox, or 411 FlaLaw. Disclaimer: The response above is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, would significantly alter the above response.

You must cooperate with your insurance company or risk losing coverage. You also need to consult a local attorney ASAP. Call me for a free consultation if you'd like as we could definitely help you through these difficult times. Best of luck.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

You must cooperate with your insurance carrier

If you never plan to pursue a claim, you do not have to talk to them. And you wouldn't have to sue your friend to make a claim on his/her insurance policy and recover medical bills and pain and suffering.

If you have any further questions, feel free to email me- jmp@knowthelawyer.com. Check out our website- www.knowthelawyer.com. We'd love to help you. Our number is 800-6-know-law.

Please CLICK the button if I HELPED or was BEST ANSWER. No attorney-client relationship is established and responses here are general first impressions. You should consult with a lawyer about your problems. More about our firm is located at www.knowthelawyer.com.

Most insurance policies impose a duty of cooperation on the insured. I am sure they are seeking subrogation from your friend's insurance company for the sums they have paid out on your behalf.

If you fail to cooperate with your carrier, they may cancel your policy or refuse to make any payments for treatment for this incident.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******

You should read your insurance policy. It defines what your responsibilities are in terms of cooperating with your carrier. You should follow what you have agreed to in the contract.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.