I feel that my employer is misclassifying me as an independent contractor to avoid paying minimum wage and overtime.

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I work at a hand car wash, I and 5 other guys are made to work 60-70 hrs a week and when i brought up the issue of more money I was told i was an independent contractor therefore not due minimum wage or overtime. when i told my employer about the misclassification act and minimum wage law i was told to turn in my key to the shop.

1. Josh Michael Friedman

3

1

Answered . You sound like you were an employer and that your employer violated the law. I recommend you speak to an experienced employment lawyer as soon as possible. Many of us, myself included, will provide a free consultation.

2. Lorraine Teraldico Peeters

Answered . I agree that you should contact an employment law attorney in your area. It does sound like you were an employee, and you and other employees like you should have received overtime compensation for the hours that you worked in excess of 40 each week. This is likely just one of a number of legal issues that you will want to discuss with a lawyer. Good luck!

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now