I feel my chiropractor billed my insurance more than what he should

Garland, TX |

I feel I was taken advantage of whenever I recieved medical care from my chiropractor after being in a auto accident. I think he either billed extra services or something of that sort whenever he was caring for me. He got a bigger check than I did from the insurance company when I settled. Is there anything I can do to him for using my personal injury case for his personal gain.

1. If your chiropractor committed insurance fraud, then that's between him and your insurer. As long as you didn't falsify anything, you're not liable for anything.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

2. Just because your chiropractor received a bigger check than you does not necessarily mean s/he overbilled. Did you have an attorney? If so, your attorney likely paid off your medical liens and any insurance subrogation. Your attorney should have negotiated these amount down. You need to speak to your attorney about how the settlement was divided up.

My comments are provided for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications through Avvo should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. The information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Lawyers are licensed to practice on a state by state basis; do not act on information contained on this website without first speaking to an attorney licensed to practice in your state.

3. Unless you have firm evidence that the chiropractor overbilled or fraudulently billed the insurer for services not rendered, you want to walk carefully around the issue of accusing him of insurance fraud; otherwise, you might find yourself on the receiving end of a defamation lawsuit.

Since insurers generally don't make payment without conducting an internal due diligence of some sort (which usually includes red flags for overbilling and suspect billing practices), take a deep breath, shake it off, and walk away.

This response is general legal and business analysis and not legal advice; thus, other attorneys may analyze this issue differently, particularly if there are undisclosed facts. I am licensed to practice in CA, but I am not your attorney and this response does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. Please review Item 9 of avvo.com’s terms and conditions, which is incorporated by reference as it if was reprinted here in full.