I feel my chiropractor billed my insurance more than what he should

Asked about 2 years ago - Garland, TX

I feel I was taken advantage of whenever I recieved medical care from my chiropractor after being in a auto accident. I think he either billed extra services or something of that sort whenever he was caring for me. He got a bigger check than I did from the insurance company when I settled. Is there anything I can do to him for using my personal injury case for his personal gain.

1. Pamela Koslyn

1

Answered . If your chiropractor committed insurance fraud, then that's between him and your insurer. As long as you didn't falsify anything, you're not liable for anything.

2. Slavik Steve Leydiker

1

Answered . Just because your chiropractor received a bigger check than you does not necessarily mean s/he overbilled. Did you have an attorney? If so, your attorney likely paid off your medical liens and any insurance subrogation. Your attorney should have negotiated these amount down. You need to speak to your attorney about how the settlement was divided up.

3. Janice Rourke Hugener

Answered . Unless you have firm evidence that the chiropractor overbilled or fraudulently billed the insurer for services not rendered, you want to walk carefully around the issue of accusing him of insurance fraud; otherwise, you might find yourself on the receiving end of a defamation lawsuit.

Since insurers generally don't make payment without conducting an internal due diligence of some sort (which usually includes red flags for overbilling and suspect billing practices), take a deep breath, shake it off, and walk away.