I feel I was wrongfully terminated from my previous job and they refuse to pay my unemployment benefits. Was I?

Asked about 2 years ago - Tampa, FL

I never recieved a write up or warning for anything. I was a top employee almost every week. What I thought was my first write up, turned out to be my last day of work. I was doing my job when my supervisor gave me some advice to enhance my sales via a note. I wrote back stating that the radio was too loud and it was hindering my work and ability to do my job to the fullest. I decided to swhich desks away from the radio. After moving my sales numbers went up. My sales manager called me into the office stating that I was being negative and that there were some problems he wanted to discuss. I am dyslexic and they know I have issues reading. I was given a paper that I was under the impression was a write up. Never once did he state I was being terminated until the very end of the convo.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Lowell J Kuvin

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . If your ex employer is refusing to pay unemployment benefits, you need to file an appeal and have a phone hearing with a referee from the state of Florida. I strongly suggest you obtain an employment lawyer to represent you in the appeal hearing.

  2. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . If you have a discrimination theory about retaliatory discharge or hostile workplace conditions you'll need a lawyer. Religious belief, age, gender, race etc. all are discriminatory reasons for which you cannot be legally fired and upon which you might base a wrongful termination suit.

    If you are an at-will employee, you can be fired for any reason or no reason, except unlawful discrimination. If you do not have an employment contract or union to represent you, your recourse is limited. Discrimination based on age, gender, race, religious beliefs etc.... may give rise to a different answer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,454 answers this week

3,214 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,454 answers this week

3,214 attorneys answering