I feel i'm being treated unfairly at work, what can i do?

Asked over 5 years ago - Salisbury, NC

I started with this company 6 months ago. Employees who started after I did and hold the same title in the company are making more than I am. The job is production but is regulated by what the boss allows me to do. In this case the other employees are making 3-4 times more than me. I feel as though I'm being treated unfairly but I'm not sure I have any legal rights to contest what is going on. I'm a white male which according to what I've discovered on the labor board website entitles me to NOTHING as far as the complaint department is concerned. When I ask for more work, it seems the boss takes work away.. what can I do??

1. Diana S. Brodman Summers

Answered . If you are a union member, your pay is controlled by your union contract. If you are not working under a written contract you are considered an "at will" employee. Employers of at will employees can make any rule and can terminate the at will employee for any or no reason except discrimination. Discrimination is legally by age, sex, race, ethnic origin, nationality, religion, disability, color, marital or military status. You should look at www.eeoc.gov for information on discrimination.

If you fee you have been discriminated against you can file a complaint with the EEOC and with your state's human rights office/dept. This is considered a lawsuit by the employer, and may make your situation worse at work before the EEOC can investigate it. There is no such thing as a complaint department in employment law.

You probably should contact a local employment attorney who can assist you and look into other options.