I feel I am being discriminated because I'm pregnant. Is there anything that I can do about it?

Lebanon, CT |

I started a job in April when I was about four months and currently I am five months. I didn't have any problems until recently after starting, until I told the general manager that I was pregnant and I would need an accommodation. I also provided a doctor's note so that there wouldn't be any problems.
When I handed her the note, she truly said to me, "Did you know you were pregnant when we hired you? I wish you would have told me you were pregnant when we hired you" and kept going on about if anything were to happen there could have been a lawsuit. I didnt say anything and just left it at that.
One day, I wasnt able to work because I wasn't feeling well, and I called two hours before my shift. The manager then told me that they needed another doctor's note saying more details.

There are various laws prohibiting pregnancy based discrimination. The comments made by your general manager seem inappropriate. In addition, if you are being held to a different standard by being required to provide more medical documentation than employees absent for non-pregnancy related reasons that would also suggest illegal discrimination. You should speak with an employment attorney as each case is fact specific. I would be pleased to discuss your situation with you. My number is 860-216-1965.

Licensed in CT and FL

It is not unusual for an employer to ask that medical documentation be provided to determine what type of accommodation should be provided to you. However, it should not be used as a basis to terminate you unless you have been in breach of the terms and conditions. The comments were totally inappropriate and shows a need for training. Depending on the number of employees, file a complaint with your local state Human Right Rights Commission and/or simultaneously with the EEOC. If the employer continues their discriminatory practices and starts retaliating against you for making a complaint or the environment gets worst contact an attorney immediately.

This answer is predicated on the facts provided in which the lawyer cannot confirm or verify. I do not represent you as we do not have an attorney-client relationship.

Recommended articles about Employment